Hey all—today is my 25th birthday!
This morning I woke up next to my amazing husband and I took some time to be mindful and reflect on my life so far. I thought about all of my achievements, but I also reflected on the challenges and obstacles I have faced. Everything that I have experienced has made me the person I am today. Even in the last few years, I have experienced growth that I could have never imagined. This past year, I started graduate school, grown in my profession, celebrated my one-year wedding anniversary, traveled, improved my habits, developed a steady writing ritual, and so much more. I am extremely excited to see what 25 will bring!
I thought it would be fun to write down 25 things/values that I have learned and practice. I hope you have fun reading them, and that they have an impact on your life as well. Enjoy!
- Take care of yourself first.
- You are not defined by the way you look or how others perceive you.
- The best way to escape is to get lost in a good book.
- Sometimes there will be people who are in your life for a short amount of time. Let them go, but appreciate the time you spent with them.
- Show up. Be present. Work hard and show initiative.
- Always keep a journal.
- Your siblings are a true gift, and they are your best friends for life.
- Be humble, but recognize your successes too.
- Your family is not just blood; you choose your family.
- Eat that piece of cake!
- Find something that is good for your soul. (For me, it’s crafting.)
- Watch the movies you love and read the books you love—even if it is the 20th time.
- Don’t tweet that. Write it down instead.
- Forgive yourself for your past mistakes.
- Take time each day to write down what you are grateful for.
- If someone has a different opinion, listen to them. Talk and compromise.
- Everyone has a story. Be patient.
- Hold on to friends who check in on you. Your best friends are those who you see every now and then and nothing changes.
- Success isn’t measured by the size of your home, your car, or material objects. It is measured by the quality of your character and your treatment of others.
- When you’re making coffee, always add an extra scoop for good luck.
- Put your phone down. Look around you. Live in the moment. Sometimes the best pictures are those you keep for yourself.
- Advocate for those who can’t.
- They are PHOTOSHOPPED. You are beautiful!
- Always stay true to yourself.